Avon Lake is a city in Lorain County, Ohio, United States, located on Lake Erie 17 miles west of Cleveland. The population was 25,206 at the 2020 Census. It is part of the Cleveland-Elyria, OH Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Avon Lake was first settled in the 17th century and was, along with Avon, Bay Village, and Westlake, inhabited by Wyandots, Eries, Ottawas, etc. These people settled, traded, fought, made peace, and later moved elsewhere. Avon Lake, Avon, Bay Village, and Westlake were all one territory, Xeuma.
This area has so far been a part of three nations. Sometime prior to 1765, this territory was part of France. In 1765, the French were driven out by the English. Eighteen years later, in 1783, the English were forced out by the newly independent United States. During the Revolutionary War, a direct trail from the east to the west crossed the lake shore through what now includes Avon Lake. This trail is where Lake Road is today. It was used by the British more than by the colonists.
After a series of treaties, the area was purchased by the Connecticut Land Company in 1795 as the Western Reserve. Pierpont Eas formed, and the following settlers called the territory of present-day Avon Lake, Avon, Bay Village, and Westlake "Xeuma," a Native American term which means "those who came before us". French and English colonial forces did the same things here as the Natives.
Learn more about Avon Lake, OH